[ec2-beta] Mapserver segfault on ami-814aaee8

Richard A Milewski ram at rampage.net
Sat Jan 3 20:39:46 GMT 2009

I've tried and failed to run the standard Intrepid Mapserver package on
an EC2 instance of ami-814aaee8.

The problem appears to be in GDAL.

The following appears in syslog at the time of the failure:

Jan  3 02:26:01 ubuntu kernel: [204254.106038] mapserv[28609]: segfault
at bf288fec ip b7981d4b sp bf288fe0 error 6 in
libgdal1.5.0.so.1.12.2[b78a8000+4df000]

There's a note here:
http://n2.nabble.com/Mapserver-segfaulting-td1973089.html -  which
indicates it might be an 8.10 problem, not really an EC2 AMI problem.

Being a bear of very little brain, knowing what to do with the suggested
compile optimization flags is beyond me.

I was hoping to replace a physical machine running LTS Hardy with the
EC2 instance.

Is there a Hardy AMI available?    Is there a work-around that doesn't
involve recompiling everything?

-- Richard