[ec2-beta] Need linux kernel headers for 2.6.27-13-xen

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Wed Feb 18 22:21:19 GMT 2009

Collin:

You can't upgrade kernels on EC2 instances.  You can run new instances
with different kernels, but only if those kernels are already published
by Amazon or another official partner like Canonical.

For your particular situation, you may need to wait until beta2 comes
out with the newer kernel unless Chuck can add the older 2.6.27-13-xen
kernel source to the PPA retroactively.

A this point, beta1 has enough known problems, it may not be worth
trying to spend too much time on things that don't work.  Either wait to
test beta2 or use the stable community Ubuntu AMIs I publish on
http://alestic.com

The images on http://alestic.com are completely Ubuntu except for using
Amazon's 2.6.21 kernel which amazingly doesn't cause many problems other
than disabling AppArmor and forcing you to use version 1 when creating
XFS file systems on Intrepid (works fine with Hardy which is what many
production systems use).

The kernel source is also available for Amazon's kernels, though you may
want to switch questions about this to the non-beta group at
http://groups.google.com/group/ec2ubuntu

Looking forward to beta2 and the eventual official release,
--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com