[ec2-beta] Asterisk on EC2

info at ameri.me info at ameri.me
Wed Apr 22 19:32:48 BST 2009

Hi all,

I'm tying to get Asterisk to run on Ubuntu 8.04 Server LTS on EC2 but running
into problems after compiling a custom kernel.

I'm following Voxilla's excellent Asterisk in a cloud guide available at
http://voxilla.com/2009/2/13/asterisk-amazon-ec2-1178
This guide however is written with Fedora 8 in mind, and applying it to Ubuntu
seems not such a trivial task.

Asterisk, as a real-time application, requires an optimized kernel. The only
AKI Amazon seems to have published with a 1000Hz timer is the aki-9b00e5f2
kernel, a Xenified version of the 2.6.18 kernel. I'm using this with with Eric
Hammond's Ubuntu AMI ami-71fd1a18.

Asterisk has a number of kernel modules, dahdi_dummy in particular, which
provide some much-required functionality. These kernel modules however, have
to be compiled with the same gcc as the kernel was compiled with. The 2.6.18
kernel mentioned was compiled with gcc 4.0.2, and as such gcc 4.0.2 first
needs to be compiled and installed. Next, using that gcc version, I try to
compile the kernel itself.

The source of the aki-9b00e5f2 kernel was published by Amazon and is available
at http://ec2-downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/xen-3.1.0-src-ec2-v1.0.tgz

The issue is that after I download and compile this kernel, my system seems
behaves in a very strange way. In particular, calls to most binaries, such as
apt-get result in the following error:

apt-get: /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6: no version information available
(required by apt-get)
apt-get: /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6: no version information available
(required by /usr/lib/libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6.so.4.6)
apt-get: relocation error: apt-get: symbol
_ZSt16__ostream_insertIcSt11char_traitsIcEERSt13basic_ostreamIT_T0_ES6_PKS3_i,
version GLIBCXX_3.4.9 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference

I think I have hit a brick wall, and google doesn't seem to be of much use.
Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
--
Aryan Ameri