[ec2-beta] data corruption

Michael Laing laingm at un.org
Tue Apr 14 23:59:48 BST 2009

I use XFS pretty exclusively as well and find it excellent, esp. for large
database environments using EBS volumes.

1. It grows easily, esp. in combination with LVM
2. freeze / unfreeze synchronizes with LVM snapshots

The latter point makes it possible to construct a simple and comprehensive
"snapshot" strategy in EC2 for active multi-terabyte (and therefore
multi-EBS volume) databases using a combination of XFS freeze / unfreeze,
LVM snapshots, and EC2 snapshots. I snapshot every hour and no one notices.
Restores have been flawless using PostgreSQL.

I am not averse to using another file system that provides equivalent
capabilities but at the present time, I believe I can only run a system that
supports XFS flawlessly. Of course I may be missing something...

ml