[ec2-beta] data corruption

Eric Hammond ehammond at thinksome.com
Wed Apr 15 00:10:34 BST 2009

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> There are different kernels, as I understand it, between the Alestic
> images. Chuck and Eric will be able to say in detail but AIUI the beta
> AMI's use newer kernels, [...]

Yep, the only difference I'm aware of which could have an impact on disk
operations like this is the difference in the running kernel.
Otherwise, the two sets of images are pretty much installing and running
the same Ubuntu packages.

The community images I publish on http://alestic.com currently use
Amazon's Xen-customized Fedora8 2.6.21 kernel.  The official beta2
Intrepid images use Canonical's beta EC2-Xen-customized 2.6.27 kernel
(thanks to Chuck who is the expert in this area).

Ben, it wasn't quite clear to me exactly how many instances you were
running for how long on each of the different images and how many
failures you experienced.  I'm trying to figure out if the failure rate
is statistically significant or if it might simply be an

Though I was a ReiserFS fan in years past, due to recent events and the
apparent lack of support I have switched to XFS, in part because of the
instant mkfs as John Hampton mentions, but also because of the easy
freeze/unfreeze operation which is useful for EBS snapshots on EC2:

  http://ec2ebs-mysql.notlong.com

--
Eric Hammond
ehammond at thinksome.com