ubuntu-docs or gnome-user-docs for Ubuntu 17.10?

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 22 18:44:20 UTC 2017

Hi Jeremy!

On 2017-04-22 06:02, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On first login, Ubuntu GNOME 16.10 and 17.04 uses GNOME's Initial
> Setup tool which asks a few setup questions and then displays the
> GNOME help. It's an interesting idea so maybe Ubuntu will keep it.

Yeah, it's interesting, and a better approach IMHO than the current
keyboard shortcuts thing.

> For 17.10, especially for the Alphas, I'd like to propose that we
> replace ubuntu-docs with gnome-user-docs in main and only install
> gnome-user-docs by default.

To me that seems as an obvious step to take.

> That still allows several months to customize the help if desired
> before 18.04 LTS.

This is very early in the transition process, but under the assumption
that there will be visible differences between Ubuntu and Fedora, I
think it's highly desirable to keep a door open for Ubuntu
customization. To some extent, and as you pointed out on IRC the other
week, some customization is achievable through conditionals in the
upstream Mallard pages, but we may want to have the option to add Ubuntu
specific pages as well.

One aspect of customization is the branding. Up to now we have published
the HTML version of ubuntu-docs at <https://help.ubuntu.com>. Even if
the desktop docs will be much closer to GNOME Help going forward, it may
be motivated to build a HTML version of it with the Ubuntu theme and
keep publishing it at <https://help.ubuntu.com>.

Another thing comes to mind: The translated ubuntu-docs pages have been
stripped at build time and made available to the users via the
language-pack-gnome-XX-base packages. That has made it almost impossible
to make content adjustments of the desktop guide for stable releases.
Even if the package will be moved to main now, it would be desirable IMO
to not make use of the language packs for gnome-user-docs, but let
gnome-user-guide keep providing both the English and the translated
pages. The ISO won't fit on a CD anyway...

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj