[Desktop] Updating help to cover network printers

Chris Perry clissold345 at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 23 08:49:53 UTC 2016

Dear all

I'm updating the desktop help to cover network printers. My draft of
the page is here (to be released in Ubuntu 17.04):

http://people.ubuntu.com/~gunnarhj/printing-setup.html

The 16.10 version of the page is here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubuntu-help/printing-setup.html

I just use a laptop and router (with no printer) so I can't check the
draft myself. Could someone do checks for me and clarify one or two
things? I suggest four points:

1. Are the steps "To set up a network printer" and "To set up a
printer using a USB cable" correct? If not, what changes do I need to
make?

2. In the second procedure step 4 I've mentioned sharing the printer
on the network. Could someone check that this works? Once the printer
is shared it should be possible for another computer on the network to
see the printer and print on it.

3. If it can be covered briefly I'd like to cover the other options in
the "New Printer" dialog box ("Windows Printer via SAMBA" and six
other options). In some circumstances Ubuntu can't immediately find a
network printer even if the user has the IP address? Is that correct?
Is it to do with the printer being attached to the network via a print
server that uses a protocol other than CUPS? Can someone explain this
to me in simple terms? What's the simplest way of covering this point?

4. Do any other changes need to be made to the draft?

Regards,

Chris.