[desktop] Call for help

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 9 14:21:08 UTC 2016

Hi all,

"DocumentationStringFreeze", i.e. the date after which no further
changes to the translatable desktop documentation strings should be
made, is March 17.

The naked truth about the status of the desktop docs (the ubuntu-docs
package and Bazaar branch) is that its contents haven't been changed the
last year. OTOH, since much of the development is focused on Ubuntu
Touch, the visible changes to the Ubuntu desktop haven't been very
extensive lately. I still can't help fearing that some parts of the
desktop docs include information which is out of date.

It would be great if a few persons, who read this, could spend a few
hours the next 7 days with reviewing the desktop docs, and at first hand
identify out of date contents. You can report your findings in several ways:

* Merge proposals stating exact proposed changes
* Bug reports
* Posts to this list

It would also be nice if the "What's new" page could resurrect this
cycle. In 14.04 it had this contents:

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/ubuntu-help/whats-new.html

But for that we'll need input from someone who has the big picture.
@Stephen, could you possibly write down a few highlights of changes
between 14.04 and 16.04?

Let's try to make an effort, so the desktop docs we ship with 16.04 is
reasonably up-to-date. Please reply to this, if you need clarifications.
I'll do my best to answer.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj