Request for Ubuntu Doc Leadership

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 13 17:27:49 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 4:33 AM, Alberto Salvia Novella
<es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hannie Dumoleyn:
>>
>> Knowing from experience that the task of a coordinator is time
>> consuming, I do not know if we can find such a person in the docs team.
>

> Two ways of doing the same thing:
> (http://i35.servimg.com/u/f35/16/19/87/90/visual10.jpg)
>
> If the instructions in the wiki are clear and straightforward coordinating
> is not time consuming at all.

We've been documenting the instructions[0],[1] for years. I worked
hard to make sure they were updated a few years ago and so people
could use them, and since then several members of the team have been
keeping them updated cycle to cycle.

But documentation is not easy and neither is coordination of a team.
In spite of your claim, I have the same experience as Hannie when I
was in this role: it's still time consuming to plan out a cycle (what
needs updating and how to divide that into chunks for contributors,
deadlines, getting dev teams to tell us what they're updating, calls
for translations), hold regular meetings, write and send out the
emails and follow up with people who need assistance and so you can
provide a good experience for contributors. If it were easy someone
would have already picked up where I left off.

Some of these tasks are getting done (thanks to people who are doing
them), but we just don't have the cohesiveness to rely upon regularity
of it so, or to be able to provide the level of support that folks
like Ian Nicholson are very reasonably expecting as new contributors.g

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuDesktopGuide
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/UbuntuServerGuide