Request for Ubuntu Doc Leadership

Hannie Dumoleyn lafeber-dumoleyn2 at zonnet.nl
Sat Jun 11 08:14:51 UTC 2016

Op 11-06-16 om 02:16 schreef Ian Nicholson:
> My 2 cents as an infrequent contributer:
> I'd probably do much more if there was someone who was empowered to
> ask for a commitment to write/update/whatever a portion of the
> documentation, and then send an email once in a while checking to see
> if I was still working on it; basically a PM.  My understanding is
> that this is more or less what lyz was doing but is no longer able to do.
>
> Don't know if it's relevant, and sorry if it was already brought up, I
> didn't see it in the meeting logs.

/
/I totally understand what Ian is saying here. It fits in with what I
think is missing: a coordinator (at least for the Ubuntu Desktop
documentation).
In the meeting I referred to The Ubuntu Manual Project [1] where we
managed to publish the Xenial version thanks to the efforts of a handful
of enthousiastic people. We also have a handful of enthousiastic people
in the docs team, but what I miss is coordination. New contributors
should be taken by the hand to help them figure out how they can best
contribute. At UMP [1] newcomers can read the clear instructions first,
ask questions on the mailing list and finally the team coordinators
allocate tasks using a shared spreadsheet.

Knowing from experience that the task of a coordinator is time
consuming, I do not know if we can find such a person in the docs team.
In order to spread the tasks, I also suggested to have 3 separate
divisions in the docs team:
Ubuntu Desktop (tasks: writing new content, reviewing existing content,
translations)
Ubuntu Server Guide (tasks: writing new content, reviewing existing
content, translations)
Ubuntu Wiki

These are just some of my thoughts.
Cheers,