Community involvement - brainstorming

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 21 18:21:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 9:53 AM, Alberto Salvia Novella
<es20490446e at gmail.com> wrote:
> Daniel Holbach:
>>
>> - people who organise (and/or write) content
>> - people who format content
>> - people who test/review the docs
>

> I think that even better than that would be to write a style guide.

Another one? Our the Style Guide is here and we've had it for years:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/StyleGuide

See the box on the right hand side for links to specific types of
style you're looking for.

I don't think it makes sense to create another one.

> Daniel Holbach:
>> One thing I'd like to suggest is to have one or multiple "docs hours"
>> a week.
>
> I feel the main purpose of meetings are people to enrol with each other
> while keeping in touch with what is going on. For that I think the ideal
> timing would be once a month.

We already have (poorly attended) meetings on the first Tuesday of
each month. A couple folks have kept those going (thanks guys!):

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/MeetingAgenda

Having sprint-specific gatherings once a month too it may be
worthwhile, but we'd need someone to step up to lead those and hope
they'd be more well attended than our meetings :)

> Daniel Holbach:
>> At some stage it might make sense to have an IRC meeting or a
>> hangout together and figure out what's feasible and who could imagine
>> helping with what.
>
> I think that video-conference is more appropriate, because you can see
> people's faces. On the other hand I am very resistant to use proprietary
> software except when it pains a lot, and that excludes the Google Hangouts
> plug-in.

I can't participate in video meetings because I'm at work (IRC is ok,
since I can look in and catch up). Even more frustrating, there is no
log for me to quickly review for important bits after. Watching a
recorded hangout takes much too much time.

> Daniel Holbach:
>> We could also invite some docs folks to the Ubuntu Community Q&A to
>> give the team some exposure?
>
> We can. On the other hand I believe that the most effective way of promoting
> the team is people to find information about it when navigating pages about
> ways of contributing to Ubuntu.

Can you be more specific? We've done a lot of work over the past
couple of years to improve and make sure
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam is up to date. It's also
linked clearly on the community website with its own section:
http://community.ubuntu.com/contribute/documentation/

We can submit bugs to community.ubuntu.com to improve this page if you
find it lacking.