Dutch translation wiki main page

Pasi Lallinaho pasi at shimmerproject.org
Tue Feb 4 17:04:46 UTC 2014

On 04/02/14 18:29, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
> op 04-02-14 13:15, Pasi Lallinaho schreef:
>> On 04/02/14 13:59, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> On the wiki main page, perhaps under  the line "Scroll down to find
>>> the list of the major topics in this wiki.", I would like to add the
>>> following link:
>>>
>>> <<BR>> For the Dutch translation of this page, go to
>>> [[https://help.ubuntu.com/community/gebruikersdocumentatie|Gebruikersdocumentatie]]
>>>

>>> Am I allowed to do that? I have already given it a try without saving
>>> the page. There is still a problem; the color of the link is almost
>>> the same as the background color. I do not know how I can change the
>>> font color of the hyperlink.
>>>
>>> Hannie
>>>
>> Hey Hannie,
>>
>> there is no way to change the link color in the wiki. That's why that
>> box doesn't have links to begin with.
>>
>> Since we might have more translations, I don't think the place you
>> proposed is sustainable. The link shouldn't be too obtrusive for those
>> who can read English (which you need to know at least some to be able to
>> read most of the articles in the wiki anyway). I would say a place under
>> the "More resources" heading would be more appropriate for linking
>> language versions.
>>
>> Moreover, I think the biggest benefit of translated homepages is when
>> the wiki is linked from another site. For that, you don't need a link in
>> the main page.
>>
>> Ultimately, if the new page efficiently replaces the old translation
>> [1], I would copy the content of the new page over the old one (and
>> removing the new one) to keep existing links from other sites
>> up-to-date. (I imagine the new translated front page doesn't have *too*
>> many hits yet.)
>>
>> What do others think?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pasi
>>
>> [1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UserDocumentationNL
>>
> Hello Pasi (and Tom),
> Thank you for your quick reaction.
> At this moment I am only experimenting/brainstorming. I have a lot of
> ideas and questions about translations of the wiki page(s).
> Questions: is it worthwhile? Will there be enough users of a certain
> language who do not understand English well enough? If so, then ALL
> the (linked) pages should be translated. Is that feasible?

As Tom said, we probably do not want to even try to do this.

> Ideas: (Hannie) send email to ubuntu-translators to see what other
> translators think about this. They should examine for their language
> if users are interested in translations of the wiki user docs.
> Some loco teams, the Dutch team included, have their own documentation
> pages in their own language, but that doesn't mean they are not
> interested in translated wiki pages. As we say: why should they
> reinvent the wheel?

We can link to those pages as well, and it might indeed be a good idea
to create a "landing page" for links to other wikis/documentation in
different languages.

> If we continue, where will we place the link to translated pages? I
> had a look at "Other resources" on the main wiki page. there are 3
> text boxes at the moment. Could a 4th be added? Or is it better, as
> you suggest, to add the link to the loco team's website? Or both?

I don't think it's a bad idea to advertise translated stuff on the front
page (maybe not all the language links, but generally). Adding links to
LoCo teams' websites and any other appropriate places is of course also
a good idea.

> The old page, UserDocumentationNL, is only partly translated. I may
> have done it myself a long time ago ;) I think we should stick to the
> new pages, and perhaps add the translated part of the old page to it.
> I'll have a look at it.
> Hannie

If the UserDocumentationNL page is a Dutch adaptation of the old front
page, I don't think there's any reason to keep that, as it mostly has
same stuff linked than the new website. If it has some content that is
different from the old front page and seems to be something worth
saving, maybe it should be moved to another page.

My idea is that since many sites might link to the UserDocumentationNL
page, it would be more meaningful and useful to drop the new content
there instead of creating (yet) another page where nobody links so far.

Cheers,
Pasi