Official vs. community

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 7 21:51:09 UTC 2014

Just read the log from yesterday's meeting.

http://ubottu.com/meetingology/logs/ubuntu-meeting-2/2014/ubuntu-meeting-2.2014-08-06-17.01.moin.txt

One thing that caught my interest was the discussion on how we refer to
the various type of help resources.

As regards the "official" desktop and server docs, it's true that they
are typically not written and maintained by Canonical staff, but by
volunteer community members. In that sense they are just as much
"community" resources as the help wiki.

There are comments in the log which indicate that the term "official" in
itself deters people from contributing. Maybe we should stop using the
term "official" when referring to documentation. "Base documentation" or
just "Documentation" (which gets translated) and "Help wiki" is one thought.

As regards the desktop guide, there is one thing that actually makes it
"official" in a sense: It's included as a package with all installations
of the Ubuntu desktop, and thus subject to Canonical's support
commitment. OTOH, it does not mean that we have to refer to it as
"official" everywhere.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj