Dual-boot pages, was Fw: grub2 pages

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 20 10:12:11 UTC 2013

Hi :)
Thanks Phill! :)

If more than 1 person wants to edit one page then it's usually better for at least one to pick a sub-page and hen maybe have 1 person doing the main edit and the other reviewing/proof-reading when the 1st person is comfortable enough with it (or unable to carry on for a while).  The 1st person could then be reviewing/proof-reading the other person's sub-page.

Another set of pages and sub-pages that could use an overhaul (if they haven't been scrapped already)
is my now ancient attempt to radically re-organise the "Dual boot" page
which was about 3 miles long and had a lot of twists and turns that most people wouldn't need and would definitely scare most people away.

My plan had been to make 1 generic page that explained the basic idea.
Then sub-pages to cover the usual awkward cases and both Windows ones
because Windows users tend to be badly misinformed about all this sort
of thing (for example in Windows a partition i called a "drive" so it
was a shock to me when i found my shop-bought machine which proudly
boasted having 2 hard-drives (in case 1 failed) actually had both
"drives" on 1 physical device (so if 1 had failed they both would)).
This page would also need a link to somewhere (possibly a sub-page) that gave handy hints on how to get a Windows Recovery Cd and how to use
Recovery Partitions so it would need a lot of links to external
resources such as to microsoft.com (which i am less shy about visiting
nowadays (now that i know for certain that all the versions of Windows i use are legit) but was really edgy about back then)

So the 1st sub-page was going to be about the usual case of Windows
already on the machine and doing as little as possible to disturb it but install Ubuntu after it and sort the boot-menu to put Windows at the
top and make that the default.  Note that sorting the grub2 would
probably involve just pointing at a sub-page off the Grub2 page just in
case Grub2 suddenly makes that less trivial in the future and the
sub-page stops working fully.

The 2nd sub-page was to be installing Ubuntu first and then Windows
afterwards, which has been complicated by Win7 plonking a "recovery
partition" at the start of the drive even if that smashes up an existing partition.  So, now if an Ubuntu partition is meant to be 1st then you
have to leave enough of a gap to let Windows do it's thing otherwise you have to reinstall Ubuntu again afterwards.

3rd was meant to be a typical Gnu&Linux case.  Easy peasy.

4th could have been for Mac except i had no idea so i was going to leave that or use a redirect

5th and onwards were going to cover awkward cases such as Xen or any Gnu&Linux distros that made life difficult (or easier)

Now that i have a look though it looks like someone massively fixed the older page
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
as it is sooo much shorter than i remember.  My pages are still around at

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DualBoot
and some of the stuff on that first page never got around to being hacked
off and put on sub-pages.  Also the Windows Dual-boot page has been
updated but i think mine are out-dated now.

So, it's all a bit of a kludgy mess.  Whichever set we want to have for the future probably needs some tidying (at the very least) and possibly
stuff pulled in from the other.  Then tag the other one for demolition (well we would replace it with a redirect because some people and other pages probably do link to one or the other).

Regards and apols from

Tom :)