Saucy desktop docs review spreadsheet

Phill Whiteside PhillW at Ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 2 00:10:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

let me also take off about all of my hats :) Between my work on QA /
Testing for lubuntu, helping other community flavours etc. I do spend time
on wiki areas and do give the odd poke to teams to have a productive sprint
for updating areas so that new comers can understand the basics. I have
been *told off* in the past for expecting too much prior knowledge for our
QA / Testing classroom sessions and have really taken that on board.

As there is a lot of new stuff going on for wiki / documentation / manual;
in my very humble opinion, can we concentrate not only on the 'do the best
we can for 13.10' but ensure that we have, on all areas and flavours, a
firm footing for to invite newcomers in for 14.04. The insight that new
comers is, IMHO, vital; after all, we are writing this stuff for them!
Making it less scary for them to get involved should be a very high
priority, they are keen to help... It is vital that we bring them in,
listen to what they like and what they do not like etc. We who have been
around several cycles can too easily forget the trepidation a new comer
faces.

The QA / testing area has been made more 'new comer' friendly [1] to [2]
The Docs team have just moved their sand-box area to being live [3] (Yes, I
know it says temp Manual!!). These are a bit late in the cycle, but I
certainly hope that docs and manual team do also concentrate a bit of time
and effort so that after the 13.10 lands, both manual and doc teams can
hold classroom sessions early on (as in the 1st month) to encourage new
comers (that also includes those who have been around several cycles, but a
bit overwhelmed by the instructions)

@ Liz, you'll need to put your classroom head back on for this :D The QA /
Testing people already know from the last vUDS that it will be all in place
earlier than last cycles.

Regards,

Phill.
1. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Activities?action=recall&rev=49