serverguide.pot file and .po files

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 27 09:22:29 UTC 2013

On 26 March 2013 19:17, Doug Smythies <dsmythies at telus.net> wrote:
> Hi Matt, and thanks very very much for your reply.
>
> On 2013.03.26 06:36, Matthew East wrote:
>> What I would suggest is that you take a look at these pages, and see if they help you understand the process:
>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Translation
>> https://help.launchpad.net/Translations
>
> Yes, I have looked at them, many times. Some of my extracted quotes were from the wiki page.
>
>> but ultimately if you are interested in getting up to speed on how translations are generated and imported, there will be very little substitute for reading the scripts and learning about how they work.
>
> I have been doing that also. However, it is easy to get lost in the detail and lose site of trying to make progress towards the pending string freeze.
>
>> However when there is a new pot template in Launchpad, Launchpad updates the po files automatically so that any new strings in the pot template show as new strings to be translated.
>
> Not that I have been able to determine or observe. I must still be missing something. And I suspect the issue might be that I refer to a .po file as the file I get when I issue a bzr branch lp:serverguide command , not some .po file that would be anywhere else in the chain of events.

Ok, when I said that Launchpad updates the po files automatically, I
was talking about the po files stored in Launchpad Translations that
translators work on. I wasn't referring to the po files stored in bzr.
These need to be updated either through Launchpad's automatic export
procedure or the manual export process that you've described in your
other email.

Matt