ubuntu forum **Important **

Vikram Dhillon dhillonv10 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 01:43:27 UTC 2013

Hi Conno,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:06 AM, Conno B. <conno.boel at solcon.nl> wrote:

> **
> Hi Tom (and list)
>
> Thanks for the quick answer!
>
> Yeah, I'll wait with asking the really hard questions until they're
> finished with repairing too, I guess.
> maybe /if any of them reads this/ would it be an idea to have the forums
> run in a kind of "safe mode" first, when they're up?

In network security, generally once you find out what caused the problem
(vulnerable code, some zero day, outdate software which btw is _very
unlikely_ So once the admins figure out how the attackers got in, patch it
up, the forums will be up. There isn't really a need for a safe mode
because once they're up, they've already been tested and everything by that
point.

> Hm, I don't have any active accounts, besides my Ubuntu-one. I think
> maintaining a lot of accounts is a hassle >.<
> From what I know, neither of these two are at direct risk, am I right?

Yes, ubuntu forums are the only thing impacted, ubuntu-one is totally fine.

> yeah, my senior always told me:
> "in case of trouble, get a pot 'o' coffee, sit down, and wait until
> there's no-one pressuring you"
> So, no, I wasn't actually planning on storming the actual maintainers with
> questions now >.<

Good advice here.

> And I know that there's more sources out there (Thank open-source :D)
> But I actually also found a halfway-around, you can use google cache to
> (up to a certain level) gain acess to posts,
> so for now, that way is good enough for me :D

The cache generally maintains old posts so yea, you can get a lot from
there, youtube is another source for somethings that you might need.

> greetings,
> Cornelis
>
> //Extra info - spoiler alert//
> The reason I'll persist in asking said questions, is that I have a
> low-latency freelance job as writer for a dutch PC-mag.
> so, since my redaction said they'd be interested if I could fish out
> details, I'd thought to go ahead and ask stuff >.<

If there's something that you really can't find out or need clarification
for, feel free to email me, and please don't include the list in cc since
they probably don't want more noise on questions that might not be related
directly to the documentation.

--
Regards,
Vikram Dhillon