Suggestion re the possible creation of a smaller "TitleIndex" Wiki page.

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 20:00:05 UTC 2013

Hi :)
Oops, we have gone off-list!  I'm coping this back to the list this time.

Sub-pages would be like
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TitleIndex/Accessibility
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TitleIndex/Games
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TitleIndex/Office
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/TitleIndex/Wireless
then the main page would only need about a dozen categories that take people to the appropriate sub-page.

Normally it's best to avoid changing font size and stuff like that except for headings.  After yuou have become a bit more familiar you can do alsorts of fancy things but it's best to start off as simply as possible.  The template is best kept as the standard one in order to keep pages consistent.  Once you get really advanced you realise it's still best to return to keeping it as simple as possible, lol.
Regards from
Tom :)

      with perhaps numbering alongside the items like in this example - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpIndex - I think having the numbers would help in the forums help situation where a member making an enquiry could be pointed in the right direction by quoting a number. You mention almost anyone on this list could give a hand - what list is that Tom ?

>I would be prepared to start creating a page from scratch but
      would appreciate your input with -
>1. The best Template to use ?
>2. Could a name on the new page be changed to something other than
      the original one selected ?
>3. Is it possible to change the font size ?
>4. Any further tips appreciated.
>
>Thanks very much for all of your help Tom. BTW where are you
      located ? I am in Melbourne Australia.

>With Regards,
>Geoff :)
>
>On 03/02/13 05:10, Tom Davies wrote:
>
>Hi :)
>>Sorry it took longer this time.  That is pretty much the way it
        goes.  There is no need to apologise for slower responses as i'm
        sure we all have other things going on.  Forums and email
        threads are good because they remind us of what the issue was
        about and how far we had got.

>> I like your idea of asking for input from the Forums Cafe.
        Also your idea of leaving the current Title/Index intact and
        just providing a shorter alternative.  One of the items in the
        shorter index could be to the fuller one.

>>Editing a wiki-page is fairly easy as it's mostly just like
        writing an email.  You just add the text.  Making the text into
        links is not hugely tough either but other people could help
        with that after they can see where you are going with the page.
        If you need a hand to just create the a blank wiki-page then
        that is really easy for almost anyone on this list.

>>If you can you give a link to the index that is too long then i
        might be able to suggest some ways of breaking it down into
        sub-pages but i think your route is better.
>>Regards from
>>Tom :)
>>

>>>________________________________

                      :)

>>>I will need to do a little thinking about your
                      suggestions. I saw the situation as being the
                      majority of users with documentation links would
                      just have them as I do - I only have 62. Many
                      users would have links similar to mine - It was my
                      idea to basically appeal to the majority by having
                      a second list available. It would be be a
                      considerable advantage to have those links on one
                      Bookmark, but not if it takes 22 seconds to load.
                      (I don't know if that would be the norm or not).
>>>I am a simple 69 year old man, and your
                      suggestions of sub pages confuses me a little,
                      unless you simply mean by "Letters". The
                      alphabetical links at the top of the page I
                      consider good.
>>>I am prepared to post a thread in the Forums Cafe,
                      asking for suggested links - I have no idea what
                      sort of response I would get, but if it worked I
                      could certainly provide a list of the links.
>>>1. What input would you require me to do other
                      that what I have outlined ?
>>>2. Creating a Page myself would take some time
                      because of the learning curve.
>>>3. Having said that, I am prepared to put in
                      whatever time it took.
>>>4. Do you think my idea of a thread in the Cafe is
                      a good one?

>>>Digest what I have said Tom and get back to me at
                      your convenience.
>>>Your lightening response is really appreciated - I
                      apologize for the delay in my getting back to you!

>>>With kind regards,
>>>Geoff :)
>>>
>>>On 03/02/13 01:39, Tom Davies wrote:
>>>
>>>Hi :)
                        sub-pages.  Each category gets it's own
                        sub-page.  Do you have a plan or is the problem
                        too large to figure out?

                                the right address or not, however please
                                advise if it is not the case.

                                outline my suggestion anyway. I made an
                                embarrassing faux pas in the Ubuntu
                                Forums when I suggested that there was a
                                need for a Documentation Contents Wiki,
                                not knowing that a Title Index already
                                existed.

                                fulfil the requirements that I had in
                                mind. As an example, I have about 62
                                Documentation pages on my computer,
                                those being the ones I most refer to,
                                either for my own purposes or to post
                                links in the forums. My idea of having a
                                Documentation Contents Wiki would mean
                                all links in the page would eliminate
                                the need for these addresses to be
                                Bookmarked separately. One Bookmarked
                                address however may not prove ideal for
                                the present Title Index in my opinion. I
                                found on my computer that it took 22
                                seconds to load initially.

                                a page for me would be perhaps between
                                100 and 120. I would be interested in