Calling for Server Guide reviewers/contributors - - TRUSTY

Tom Davies tomcecf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 12:50:10 UTC 2013

Hi :)
Errrr, sorry i should have said that my last post (and most of mine)
are just my own opinion.  You might have very different ideas built-up
from your own experience whereas i am just copying what i have heard
in the very few other projects (ie so it's 3rd hand not 1st) i lurk in
Regards from
Tom :)

On 26 December 2013 12:46, Tom Davies <tomcecf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi :)
> It's probably not important to get the guide looking exactly the same,
> wrt themes etc.  Branding and marketing do suggest that it would be
> good to have internal consistency within the guide itself and to use
> some elements (crucially logos) from the other guides.
>
> Also the best principle to follow seems to be "release early and
> release often".  So, get the job done the easiest way possible to get
> it out there quickly.  Don't worry about theming or look&feel much at
> all.  Even glaring inaccuracies might be worth skating over just to
> get the finished product "out there" for people to see.  Once it's out
> there fix the inaccuracies first and then the look&feel later.
> Obviously for printed materials we have to think differently but even
> so getting a 1st draft ready for as many people as possible to see is
> a good plan.
>
> If it's "out there", and people see it, they are more likely to join
> in with working on it.  If they don't even know it exists they wont
> join in.
> Regards from
> Tom :)
>

> On 13 December 2013 20:59, Patrick Thölken <patrick.thoelken at outlook.com> wrote:
>> Sounds good
>>
>> Short Message because it's send from my iPhone.

>>> Yes, good point.
>>>
>>> Based on the level of contributions in the last 4 years the Ubuntu
>>> Server Guide is on a trajectory of irrelevance.  We've seen some good
>>> contributions in the last couple of years (most notably the LXC and
>>> Multipath chapters) but it has not been enough.
>>>
>>> It would be great if we could maintain the current look and feel but
>>> it's not an impediment if not.  I'm sure we could Ubuntu-fy it in some
>>> way.  The most important elements are:
>>>
>>> 1. Accurate information
>>> 2. Improving contributions (the reason why we're considering dumping