[wiki] Move instead of delete?

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 16 01:41:05 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> The page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tag/Deletion/List currently
> lists 124 deletion candidates. I'm slowly realizing that there may be a
> resistance within the team to irrevocably delete pages that people once
> put a lot of effort into.
>
> One idea is to move the deletion candidates to a hidden location as a
> first step. For instance, the page I have picked on lately:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LocaleConf
>
> could be moved to
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DeletedPages/LocaleConf
>
> Then, if someone screams, we would have the option to reverse the action.
>
> Obviously we should try to prevent that DeletedPages is linked to from
> other places on the wiki, and a suitable entry in
> https://help.ubuntu.com/robots.txt would be highly recommended to
> prevent 'deleted' pages from being indexed by the serious search engine
> services.

The wiki has an option to Redirect pages, so I'm much more inclined to
just edit a "To be deleted" page to put in a redirect in the body,
even if it redirects to the home page of the wiki. This way we
preserve history of the page in case someone needs/wants to resurrect
it some day or needs access to the history for some reason.

Format:

#REDIRECT PageName

http://www.princessleia.com