A Though on Redundancy of Community Wiki and Other Forms of Support

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 2 19:27:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM, cprofitt <cprofitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-12-01 at 11:17 -0500, Svetlana Belkin wrote:
> > On 12/01/2013 11:01 AM, Penelope Stowe wrote:
>
> > I understand that we do have many forms of getting support but what I'm
> > pointing at is the mess and how accurate the information is on the
> > Community Wiki, since no one seems toe either want to fix it themselves
> > or send in a bug report.
> >
> > I guess I could be just calling for a more active wiki admin team or a
> > more active team that can help the wiki admin team to clean up the wiki.
>
> To be honest it is community contributed... as such I think there are
> some limits to what a wiki admin team / active wiki team can do. What we
> have historically done is used tags:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Tag
>
> This can be used to show that the documentation is out-of-date
> (unsupported version), needs updating, needs a style or content cleanup,
> needs expansion, or is too long. There are some other tags such as
> candidate for moving, duplicate or deletion which are used more to
> removed content from the help.wiki.com/community area for various
> reasons.

Sure but not all articles are tagged in fact last time I check many were
not. It is kind of hard for tagging to be effective if the contributors
needed for such a task are not there.

> Members of the wiki admin team often lack the technical experience
> necessary to truly judge if a page is need of content cleanup. In some
> cases, like the Joomla page I linked earlier, it is obvious because the
> page lists the version of Ubuntu as one that is long since expired. Even
> in those cases there may be no one with the technical knowledge to
> update the page. In the past the team prefers to use the Unsupported
> Version tag instead of deleting it. This is in the hopes that a person
> trying to accomplish the task my find the page outdated and choose to
> update it (like I will with the Joomla page).

That is another problem that being that in discussions I have had with
other developers there is a general bit of concern that the Wiki often
gives people incorrect information because of it being outdated so
frequently.

With the pace of feature development in any give upstream is it practical
for us to continue to offer documentation for upstream software when we can
simply point users to upstream documentation instead of trying to maintain
it ourselves? So far maintaining it has not ever really worked.

> Charles

*Benjamin Kerensa*
*http://benjaminkerensa.com <http://benjaminkerensa.com>*
*"I am what I am because of who we all are" - Ubuntu*