Ubuntu Documentation - Getting Started

Kevin Godby godbyk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 00:50:10 UTC 2013

Hi, Doug.

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Doug Smythies <dsmythies at telus.net> wrote:
> I finally went through the web page twice,
> following the instructions and using a two fresh
> VM computers.

Thanks!

> And I made some edits (on both the new location and the old
> location) to the web page.
>
> John also made an edit to both page locations a few days ago.
>
> Assertion: You do not need GPG keys to be a documentation
> contributor.
>
> Proof: On the second VM, I never installed the gnupg package
> and never created or uploaded a GPG key and didn't have any
> issues. Only the SSH key is required.
>
> This is good news.
> Why? Because, myself, I find the GPG key stuff to be a big pain.
> The GPG stuff is why I almost gave up when I first tried to help
> with this stuff. And it was just about as painful today, but
> I did figure it out, and made edits to the web page (before
> I figured out that GPG keys are not even needed in the first
> place).

I think it'd be best to make this getting started page for
documentation contributors and have a separate page for documentation
packagers.  Contributors also don't need to install all the packages
during the first step.

What do you guys think?  Should we pare down this page to be for
contributors only and move the packaging-specific documentation to a
separate page?

—Kevin