Docs for Phone/Tablet

Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 7 01:12:13 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM, Mike McCallister
<workingwriter at prodigy.net> wrote:
> I've just joined the team, and look forward to helping out when I can.

Welcome to the team!

> I am also working on a third-party users guide to Ubuntu Touch for Sams
> Publishing, and plan a chapter on documentation and other "ways to get
> help." I have a few questions to start with (and suspect there will be more
> as time goes on), and I hope someone here can answer them or direct me to an
> appropriate place/person:
>
> * Is there anyone working on documentation for (any of) the Touch Core Apps
> at this point?

I just had a quick chat with one of the folks working on Touch and he
said that all he is familiar with is the documentation currently on
the wiki:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch

> * Can you get to (a version of) the Ubuntu desktop guide in Unity on a
> phone/tablet today; if not, is that the plan?

I don't know. Are you familiar with IRC? The same community member I
spoke with suggested you join the developers in the #ubuntu-touch
channel on irc.freenode.net since they would have much more up to date
knowledge about specific documentation plans.

If you don't have a client, you can connect to chat via this web
interface http://webchat.freenode.net/ Just be patient, people don't
always reply quickly on IRC :)

> Unfortunately, Sams (Pearson Education) owns the copyright on this book, so
> I can't offer my text as official documentation. But I am definitely willing
> to help with editing such a project.
>
> By way of introduction, I am a technical writer by trade. By day, I write
> manuals for PKWARE (the folks that invented the ZIP compression format). I
> wrote two editions of "openSUSE Linux Unleashed" in the early 2000s, and
> also two editions of "WordPress in Depth" with Bud Smith.
>
> Many thanks for any help you can offer!

Always nice to see professional writers join our ranks.

http://www.princessleia.com