UIFE Request: Rename "Print Settings" to "Printers"

Jeremy Bicha jbicha at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 20 12:43:50 UTC 2012

On 20 September 2012 03:35, Redmar <redmar at ubuntu-nl.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure it would be a good idea to change this in ubuntu. First of
> all it would mean extra work for translators and the documentation team
> quite late in this cycle. Furthermore, that string was changed upstream
> on request of one of the Dutch translators (it used to be 'printing',
> which without context got translated to 'busy printing', which looked
> very silly).
> Even if there is a UIFE for this, please do request an upstream change
> as well so translations can be shared between upstream and ubuntu.

Yes, it is "Printing" in Ubuntu 12.04. Is "Printers" clear enough too?
That's what already being using in gnome-control-center (as seen if
you run GNOME Shell).

I'll contact upstream as well.

It is no extra work for docs. Since the name did change & I'm
proposing something different than 12.04, I have to update the docs
regardless. I understand that it is extra work for translators but I
hope it isn't too much. Either way, I'll follow the translators'
decision and I won't be upset if my request isn't approved.

Jeremy