Sound troubleshooting documentation

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 14:48:00 UTC 2012

Hi :)
This guide is meant to help people gather the info required to post a good question on Launchpad or for posting a bug-report
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure
It is well maintained and kept up-to-date.

If it needs a little re-arranging of the steps in order for smoother flow then it's probably a good idea to communicate with the main person that keeps updating the page.  I don't think he is subscribed here as his main interest is in helping individuals solve their problems.

I think any trouble-shooting steps should really start with
1.  Are the speakers plugged in and switched on.  Many need their own separate power-supply and have their own on/off button or dial on the front.
2.  Is the little data-lead plugged into the tiny light-green hole?  [a nice photo of a generic plate with a big green arrow pointing at the right hole]
3.  Have other speakers been tried or the same speakers tried on a different system?

In my experience those 3 things have solved about 90% of sound problems.  People often start with complicated things without checking the basics.

The problem i always have about deleting pages is that information and effort might be lost without the good stuff being transferrred to the new pages.  On the other hand we really do need to delete a ton of stuff to bring the wiki up-to-date.

How using redirects?  If this page
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
was redirected to one of the other pages then people could still look at the history of the page and get at the work they put in to move it somewhere better.

Regards from
Tom :)