Sound troubleshooting documentation

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Feb 6 15:24:15 UTC 2012

On 02/06/2012 03:48 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> This guide is meant to help people gather the info required to post a
> good question on Launchpad or for posting a bug-report
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure
> It is well maintained and kept up-to-date.

But, those 17 (!) steps do not provide what we need. What we need for
initial bug triaging (or answering questions), is alsa-info,
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo and in case of PulseAudio related
stuff, a PulseAudio log according to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio/Log
Or even simpler, you can just run the "ubuntu-bug audio" command, and it
will attach all the relevant information to the bug report.

> I think any trouble-shooting steps should really start with
> 1. Are the speakers plugged in and switched on. Many need their own
> separate power-supply and have their own on/off button or dial on the
> front.
> 2. Is the little data-lead plugged into the tiny light-green hole? [a
> nice photo of a generic plate with a big green arrow pointing at the
> right hole]
> 3. Have other speakers been tried or the same speakers tried on a
> different system?

I disagree: this makes the assumption that the user has a problem with
his speakers. And on most laptops, you don't even have a speaker jack.

We have problems with internal mics, headphones, external mics, internal
speakers, crackling sound, random applications, HDMI, and a lot of other
things; speakers connected through a line-out jack is not even one of
the most common bug reports.

> The problem i always have about deleting pages is that information and
> effort might be lost without the good stuff being transferrred to the
> new pages.

Yeah, that's the way I feel about
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingGuide
that contain some useful stuff and some nice screenshots.

> On the other hand we really do need to delete a ton of stuff
> to bring the wiki up-to-date.

If so,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure
is the first to remove.

> How using redirects? If this page
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
> was redirected to one of the other pages then people could still look at
> the history of the page and get at the work they put in to move it
> somewhere better.

Maybe? I don't know and would like to hear more opinions about this.

Anyway, the problem I always have is that I never say thanks for all the
pages that are correct and informative, only complain about the pages
that are broken :-) So thanks to the doc team for all the maintenance!