BuildingCommunity Refresh

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 18 03:27:37 UTC 2011

Hi Folks,

Hope all is well!

I wanted to reach out to see if some of you would be interested in
taking part in a documentation effort to help provide improved resources
to our wider community when it comes to community best practice.

 From a post that I published recently to Planet Ubuntu:

Our community has a wealth of experience. Different skills,
capabilities, life experiences, and perspectives all contribute to a
boiling pot of knowledge that when shared can help us all to do great
work as part of our different Ubuntu community teams. When we can learn
from each other, we can spread this experience far and wide and
accomplish even more.

As part of my goal to help support and motivate leaders it struck me
that we don't have as much of this supporting documentation and best
practice as we could. Our leaders and wider community should be able to
have a dependable set of documentation and resources to help them grow
community teams and tend to issues effectively; in essence, a shared
knowledge base from the community's combined insight.

Some years ago I created an Ubuntu wiki mini site called
BuildingCommunity (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BuildingCommunity) where we
set out to document this kind of best practice. Unfortunately, like many
people, I got busy with other work, as did others, and the pages have
not been updated as often as I think we would have liked.

Tonight I spent some time digging through the pages and cleaning them up
a little. There is some great content on there, with two particularly
interesting sections I think we could expand:

  * Knowledge Base
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BuildingCommunity/KnowledgeBase) - a collection
of pages, information, tips, tricks, and other guidance for common
community challenges.
  * FAQ (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BuildingCommunity/FAQ) - what was
intended to be a growing FAQ of common questions and answers about how
to grow, manage, and coordinate a community and team.

Tonight I also created a Leaders and Governance overview
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BuildingCommunity/CommunityLeaders) which
summarizes how the community is structured; this could also do with some
additional content and tweaking.

I would like to put out a call to encourage folks to contribute to
refining these pages, adding content, fixing errors, and otherwise
helping to produce this awesome shared resource. I also talked today in
`#ubuntu-community-team` with Amber, Greg, Benjamin and some others
about how we could coordinate some more docs, such as a docs day. Would
you folks be interested in taking part in a day to get this resource in
shape?

Would anyone be interested in participating?

     Jono

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager