Documentation help

Tom Davies tomdavies04 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 11:02:40 UTC 2011

Hi :)
These links might be more useful to you
http://www.ubuntu.com/business
http://www.ubuntu.com/business/services/overview
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/training
http://www.ubuntu.com/business/services/free-assessment

Further to my last verbose email ...

When you install Ubuntu it is wise to work through the Medibuntu page to get all
multimedia working

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Ideally Ubuntu likes to have 1GHz cpu, 1Gb ram and 15Gb hard-drive space
(including swap) but it often works well on much less.  A good way to test an
individual machine is to try a "LiveCd" session (or "LiveUsb").  Basically that
is a bootable Cd (or Usb)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

With Ubuntu it is the same Cd as the installer Cd.  So either buy the Cd from
Cannonical or local supplier or else download it free and make your own first
Cd.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17
The Cannonical shop sells them in batches of 5 or more very cheaply.

At work i tend to stick with the latest "LTS" because that Long Term Support
means i don't have to keep upgrading every year or so.  I have got a few
machines on the 10.10 release but none on a 11.04 except for testing purposes on
a multi boot machine where i tend to go into 10.04 most of the time anyway.  I
think the next LTS is due to be the 12.04 although it might be a 12.06 instead.
The version number is "year.month" so 12.04 would be released in 2012, April but
the LTS is sometimes pushed back and made the only release of that year to focus
attention more = so it might be a 12.06 instead.  Normally Ubuntu releases 6
monthly releases that get 18months support.  The LTS gets 3 years support :)

Regards from
Tom :)