Weird terminology mixup between Expo Mode and Scale Windows

Jeremy Bicha jeremy at bicha.net
Thu Apr 28 06:07:44 UTC 2011

On 24 April 2011 11:49, Dylan McCall <dylanmccall at gmail.com> wrote:
> The current (very nice) Keyboard Shortcuts documentation
> (ghelp:gnome-help?shell-keyboard-shortcuts) has the following:
> Windows+W       Activate "Expo" mode. Show all windows from all workspaces.
>
> Technically, Expo mode is the worspace switcher; it shows all
> workspaces. The mode that shows all windows is called Scale Windows,
> and could probably be referred to without a name. Is calling this
> “Expo mode” intentional, or just a little mixup? :)

Dylan, I apologize for the delay in replying; I didn't see this email
until today. Yes, I see that you are correct.

http://wiki.compiz.org/Plugins/Expo
http://wiki.compiz.org/Plugins/Scale

I'm thinking I'll just take out the short sentence: 'Active "Expo"
mode.' Scale doesn't mean anything to users unless they're messing
with CCSM or have a bug. Interestingly, it's Scale that is the OS X
Expose clone which may have been part of my confusion.

AskUbuntu's keyboard shortcut page calls it spread mode which is kinda
descriptive. What do you think?

Jeremy Bicha