Objectives for Oneiric - Brainstorming

Connor Imes rocket2dmn at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 27 22:03:56 UTC 2011

After a short discussion here in the ML, I think we should get these
goals onto a wiki page as well.  Responses in line...

On 04/27/2011 01:15 PM, Jim Campbell wrote:
> Thanks, Matthew,
>
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com
> <mailto:mdke at ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     This topic overlaps slightly with Jim's thread about topics for
>     discussion at UDS. However I think it is logically separate and can be
>     discussed separately. The discussion will overlap where required.
>
>     Setting achievable objectives is essential to improving our
>     productivity as a team. It is something we have not done well in the
>     past and I'd like to improve that.
>
>     Here are my brainstorming thoughts for objectives for the next release
>     cycle, with justification underneath. They are in no particular order
>     - please add your comments and other ideas.
>
>     Obviously we need to be realistic about our objectives but for now we
>     can brainstorm different possible objectives with a view to settling
>     the objectives at a team meeting(s) after UDS. Many of them have
>     different approaches we can take - these can be defined and discussed
>     once we have defined our objectives.
>
>     • Move 11.04 docs to ubuntu-docs package
>      - the docs now in gnome-user-docs are customised so heavily that it
>     is appropriate for them to be in a separate package, with yelp patched
>     to open them by default.
>      - this would allow us to ship gnome-user-docs as a vanilla upstream
>     release for those using gnome-shell.
>

> +1 for this
+1 assuming the upstream gnome docs are still useful.  I expect this
will cause some headaches for translators though, since they will
probably need to redo their work after the material is moved.

>     • Convert the "Ubuntu Classic" docs to Mallard and ship them in
>     /usr/share/gnome/help/ubuntu-classic.
>      - for discussion.
>      - one approach is to branch the Unity documents and amend them to
>     reflect Ubuntu Classic. This would be a fair amount of work for us and
>     translators.
>      - another is to leave the documents "as is" for the foreseeable
>     future.
>

> As I understand it, Ubuntu will only ship with Unity and Unity2d
> sessions in 11.10. The "Ubuntu Classic" session will not be shipped
> on-disc, so I don't think it will be necessary to convert the Ubuntu
> Classic docs to Mallard.
Does this mean that the present contents of ubuntu-docs is mostly
deprecated now? I'm not clear on what the difference is between Unity 2D
and the classic Gnome desktop.

> Your point here raises the issue of differences between Unity and
> Unity-2d, and how we can integrate those differences into the docs.
>

>     • Natty stable release updates
>      - particularly important to pick up translations which we did not get
>     done for the release.
>
>     • Maverick/Lucid stable release updates
>      - currently the maverick package is in a mess and the lucid branch
>     has many fixes which have not been translated or uploaded.
>

> Getting that workflow in order and doing those updates would be good.
Agreed, I'd like to get these SRUs completed soon before we get
overloaded with Natty bug reports and other necessary updates.

>     • Move translation framework to launchpad.net/ubuntu-docs
>     <http://launchpad.net/ubuntu-docs> rather than
>     launchpad.net/ubuntu <http://launchpad.net/ubuntu>.
>      - at present we have too little control about updating our
>     translation templates which is only done when we make an upload to
>     Ubuntu. Moving to exporting translations from the bzr branch will
>     improve that situation.
>

> +1
>

>     • Update our team documentation at
>     wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam
>     <http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam>.
>      - badly out of date.
>

> +1
>

>     • Increase outreach and team visibility - twitter/blogs/team reports
>      - essential for attracting more contributors.
>

> Again, +1
>

> I would also like to review apps that are installed by default and
> make sure that they have up-to-date help, and see if we can update the
> help to the Mallard format. With some apps, this can be something that
> we can work with upstream Gnome folks, too.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
+1 to all of the above.

I'd also like to do a complete review of bugs we have open on LP.  I
think some are being fixed in the material being added to
gnome-user-docs.  Others apply to the docs on h.u.c (and also some
pdfs). regarding formatting, images, and other misc issues that we
should fix.  Still others we may want to close as Won't Fix or use the
new Opinion importance.

Finally I'd like to figure out what docs we will post online for Natty
and beyond.  For example, will we post the gnome-user-docs online for Natty?

Cheers,
-Connor