Objectives for Oneiric - Brainstorming

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 27 09:38:58 UTC 2011

Hi all,

This topic overlaps slightly with Jim's thread about topics for
discussion at UDS. However I think it is logically separate and can be
discussed separately. The discussion will overlap where required.

Setting achievable objectives is essential to improving our
productivity as a team. It is something we have not done well in the
past and I'd like to improve that.

Here are my brainstorming thoughts for objectives for the next release
cycle, with justification underneath. They are in no particular order
- please add your comments and other ideas.

Obviously we need to be realistic about our objectives but for now we
can brainstorm different possible objectives with a view to settling
the objectives at a team meeting(s) after UDS. Many of them have
different approaches we can take - these can be defined and discussed
once we have defined our objectives.

• Move 11.04 docs to ubuntu-docs package
 - the docs now in gnome-user-docs are customised so heavily that it
is appropriate for them to be in a separate package, with yelp patched
to open them by default.
 - this would allow us to ship gnome-user-docs as a vanilla upstream
release for those using gnome-shell.

• Convert the "Ubuntu Classic" docs to Mallard and ship them in
/usr/share/gnome/help/ubuntu-classic.
 - for discussion.
 - one approach is to branch the Unity documents and amend them to
reflect Ubuntu Classic. This would be a fair amount of work for us and
translators.
 - another is to leave the documents "as is" for the foreseeable future.

• Natty stable release updates
 - particularly important to pick up translations which we did not get
done for the release.

• Maverick/Lucid stable release updates
 - currently the maverick package is in a mess and the lucid branch
has many fixes which have not been translated or uploaded.

• Move translation framework to launchpad.net/ubuntu-docs rather than
launchpad.net/ubuntu.
 - at present we have too little control about updating our
translation templates which is only done when we make an upload to
Ubuntu. Moving to exporting translations from the bzr branch will
improve that situation.

• Update our team documentation at wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam.
 - badly out of date.

• Increase outreach and team visibility - twitter/blogs/team reports
 - essential for attracting more contributors.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org