Gnome docs update before Beta 2?

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 12 09:41:22 UTC 2011

El dt 12 de 04 de 2011 a les 07:33 +0000, en/na Matthew East va
escriure:
> Another issue is what to do with ubuntu-docs. At present it is pretty
> useless on the CD as it isn't shown by yelp. However at the same time
> it is used by at least two applications that I can think of for help
> (jockey and usb-creator). If we are to drop ubuntu-docs we need to
> either include that help in the applications themselves, include the
> help in gnome-user-docs and update the applications accordingly, ship
> a slimmed down version of ubuntu-docs with just those documents, or
> leave it as it is.
>
> Thoughts?

I'd be up for moving the application-specific documentation to the
applications themselves and leave out ubuntu-docs. This means though,
adding support to the application packages (jockey and usb-creator) for
building the translations.

Additionally, as they no longer apply to Natty, I'm considering the idea
of disabling the ubuntu-docs translations until next release or until
we've got a stable version that matches Unity, so that we don't waste
translation effort.

Before doing this, I'd like to ask for some feedback from you guys
though.

The part about having application-specific docs in applications and
ubuntu-docs containing only general topic-based documentation was
discussed a couple of UDS ago, but it never came to realization. Things
might have changed now, as while applications are moving to Mallard they
will contain specific and topic-based docs and might be easier to plug
into ubuntu-docs.

Regards,
David.

--