Software Center documentation

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 4 13:08:45 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Currently Software Center ships its own documentation, and after a
discussion in the Ubuntu Translations Coordinators team [1] we agreed
that it would be best for documentation and translations to be included
in ubuntu-docs.

I had a quick chat with Michael Vogt some days ago and suggested him to
integrate the help file with ubuntu-docs. This would give the benefits
that:

      * Translations would be more visible to translators, as they'd be
        in the Ubuntu templates list at translations.lp.net/ubuntu
      * They'd be shipped as part of ubuntu-docs, and integrated in the
        package's workflow (i.e. translations would be built before
        NonLanguagePackDeadline)
      * This will make it possible to ship only the translations in the
        user's locale (as opposed to all translations). Now ubuntu-docs
        are part of language packs.
      * It would be consistent with what other Ubuntu applications do at
        the moment with documentation (e.g. usb-creator)

Michael told me he hadn't any strong view for one approach or the other,
so I suggested I'd contact the documentation team to integrate the
documentation in ubuntu-docs.

Would the docs team be up for adopting the Software Center
documentation? If so, what would the next step be?

Regards,
David.

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations-coordinators/msg00366.html

--