USB installation instructions for beginners

Mat Tomaszewski mat.tomaszewski at canonical.com
Mon Mar 1 10:03:28 UTC 2010

On 26/02/2010 08:45, Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi Mat,
>
> On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 09:47 +0000, Mat Tomaszewski wrote:
>
>> The way we're approaching things at the moment is along the lines of
>> "progressive disclosure" - the most basic instructions for least
>> experienced users will be placed directly on the download page. Then
>> (ideally), the users looking for more detailed walkthrough, covering
>> more corner cases (but still written using non-technical language) would
>> find that information on help.ubuntu.com/beginnersguide (this url is
>> just an example). Finally, the detailed technical documentation would be
>> available for most experienced users.
>>
> The plan would be to produce two guides for now. The first would be a
> very brief, one-page "Quick Start" guide, intended for more confident
> users. This would outline the bare essentials for a successful
> installation, and would link to more complete information elsewhere.

Can you explain what do you have in mind by "more confident users" and
why would they need a "first line" support? Is that decision based on
any research or just the discussion within this group (apologies if this
is all obvious to everyone here, I may not be up to speed)?

> Second, a less restricted guide with more hand-holding would be
> produced. This would include screenshots and a troubleshooting section
> alongside the main installation sequence. This will cater for novice
> users.

This sounds very interesting. Are there any concrete plans outlined
somewhere on the wiki already?

> I think that corner cases should be dealt with using topics on the Help
> wiki. I don't see much need to compile them all together into one guide,
> as long as we provide a decent way of getting to them from the other
> guides.

Makes sense.

> For clarity, are we interested in installing Ubuntu Desktop here, or is
> there still an UNR?

UNR has now been "upgraded" to be a full "Edition" (UNE), and will
follow the release pattern of the Desktop Edition.

Cheers,

Mat