Service Packs for existing releases

Connor Imes rocket2dmn at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 19 03:11:08 UTC 2010

Matthew East wrote:
> Quite a while ago Phil wrote this page [1] to set out a proposal for
> updating documentation in stable releases. We've never implemented
> this yet although we do see plenty of demand for it.
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/ServicePacks
>
> I've added a few things to the page to set out a definite timetable
> and methods and would be very grateful for comments.
>
> It is too late to implement this timetable for Karmic or previous
> releases, but I think that we should do some ad-hoc updates for
> certain distros. Personally I'd have in mind Hardy and Karmic, being
> the two releases which are probably more used than others.

This looks like a well thought out proposal and is something that we
should be able to pull off.  Perhaps the biggest challenge here would be
to stay on top of the SRU process, because once bugs are fixed in the
dev branch, they tend to fall off the radar on LP.  Even just accepting
the bug for the latest normal and LTS release in LP would make it easier
to track since the bug then appears under that release for the package's
bugs (e.g. [1]).  I noticed while fixing Lucid bugs that it became more
difficult to track bugs I wanted to SRU when the bug had not been
accepted in LP for a release.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/ubuntu-docs

-Connor