Service Packs for existing releases

Vikram Dhillon dhillonv10 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 04:00:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:11 PM, Connor Imes <rocket2dmn at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Matthew East wrote:
>> Quite a while ago Phil wrote this page [1] to set out a proposal for
>> updating documentation in stable releases. We've never implemented
>> this yet although we do see plenty of demand for it.
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/ServicePacks
>>
>> I've added a few things to the page to set out a definite timetable
>> and methods and would be very grateful for comments.
>>
>> It is too late to implement this timetable for Karmic or previous
>> releases, but I think that we should do some ad-hoc updates for
>> certain distros. Personally I'd have in mind Hardy and Karmic, being
>> the two releases which are probably more used than others.
>>

> This looks like a well thought out proposal and is something that we
> should be able to pull off.  Perhaps the biggest challenge here would be
> to stay on top of the SRU process, because once bugs are fixed in the
> dev branch, they tend to fall off the radar on LP.  Even just accepting
> the bug for the latest normal and LTS release in LP would make it easier
> to track since the bug then appears under that release for the package's
> bugs (e.g. [1]).  I noticed while fixing Lucid bugs that it became more
> difficult to track bugs I wanted to SRU when the bug had not been
> accepted in LP for a release.
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/ubuntu-docs
>
> -Connor

That was one of the reasons I put up the proposal of making a
sub-team, see the thing here is that we need a lot of people to work
on those docs. and fixing the bugs, but coordinating with the SRU and
making those bugs work out with the update procedures doesn't require
the efforts from the entire team, that's why I thought a few people
would be needed to coordinate that effort leaving other members to
focus their energy on other tasks :)

Matthew, you are right regarding the mailing list part, separate
effort could pretty much destroy communication between people. I was
intending to use the mailing list to forward bugs that need to go
through the SRU process, that would help us keep a track of what's
done and what needs to be done, a low volume list focusing only on
specific tasks. If that doesn't sound like a good idea then just
ignore it :)    (I have a pretty solid history of coming up with ideas
that don't work)

--
Regards,
Vikram Dhillon

~~~
There are lots of Linux users who don't care how the kernel works, but
only want to use it. That is a tribute to how good Linux is.
-- Linus Torvalds