Documentation Rifts and Rebuttals

David Wonderly •Darkwing Duck• ubuntu at darkwingduck.org
Thu Jan 14 07:28:57 UTC 2010

Hey Thomas,

Thank you for your comments on this.

Ultimately I feel that it boils down to this. There always going to be alternate projects running in regards to documentation. While I see what alternate projects bring to the table I also understand how these efforts take away from system documentation.

Not to rub salt in old wounds (no offense Matthew) but, this isn't the first time that the doc team has been hit with projects that take time and effort away from official documentation. The UDSF ended in a bit of a skiff and very painful for all those involved and that's all ill say about that project.

As for current discussions about the "Ubuntu Manual" I have failed to see what it provides that the help.ubuntu.com doesn't bring except that it would seem to be in printed form. If that is the case then it would be a product that would be for sale and while it would be written in FLOSS style the ultimate proceeds from sales would be going to one individual and to me that would violate the ideals of FLOSS.

Saying that and if that is the case then I feel that the project should not be touted here on the list. It should be done in private and if the author wants help that is fine as long as it doesn't interfere with system documentation. If I am wrong and it would be available online only and for free, why would you try to go into competition with what is out there already? If you feel that help.ubuntu.com isn't working and needs to be fixed or updated then why not spend the time and resources to fix what is there instead of competing with it?

This is just how I feel about the discussion looking at a FLOSS outlook on the project.

David Wonderly
Kubuntu Documentation Author