documentation for Ubuntu One applications

Matt Griffin matt.griffin at canonical.com
Thu Feb 4 19:56:06 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 08:32 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Matt Griffin
> <matt.griffin at canonical.com> wrote:
> > The music store would probably be the top priority followed by the
> > Control Panel. We can probably take care of information about User
> > Designated Folders on the Ubuntu One website in something like a feature
> > tour or screencast.
> >
> > I heard from Jim Campbell that he was going to work with Milo Casagrande
> > on possibly rewriting the Rhythmbox docs so I can probably chat more
> > with him about adding materials for the music store.
> >
> > Please reply if we can work together on these docs. Thanks for your
> > help.
>
> I'm willing to help. It's a great opportunity for newcomers to
> contribute to the documentation and I'd encourage anyone who is
> interested to help out too.

Great!

> The first question is can we use this software now? If not, when will
> it be available in Lucid? I have in mind that feature freeze is two
> weeks away and the freeze for writing new documentation is four weeks
> away, so we don't have that much time to plan and write the help.

Not yet. Still in development. The music store will be complete soon
(probably next week) so documentation can start very soon.

> In terms of planning, does the Ubuntu One team already have use cases
> in mind for these applications that are likely to require help?

Yes. I can prepare those based on the more important scenarios from our UAT plan. This might even cover most of the content needed.

> As for execution, let's see what Jim and Milo say about the state of
> Rhythmbox upstream docs. They are currently in docbook format so there
> isn't any easy way to plug new information into the Rhythmbox help
> directly, so we may have to think about whether to write standalone
> documentation or add something to another part of the help system. The
> "Music, Video and Photos" section would be an obvious place. On the
> other hand, if the plan is to write the Rhythmbox docs in mallard
> (upstream's new help format) then this might allow us to plug the
> documentation directly into Rhythmbox's own help.

Ok.

> Will the music store have its own help button?

Yes. This will be more of a FAQ within the music store itself and
provide info on how to contact support for purchase questions. It won't
go into how to use the store which I think should be the focus of what
should be added to the Rbox docs.

I'll touch base with you guys early next week when I have the UAT plan
done and have selected the most appropriate scenarios for Rbox help
docs.

Thanks.

Matt