Ubuntu-docs updates for Lucid

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 28 09:16:28 UTC 2010

El dc 28 de 04 de 2010 a les 07:53 +0100, en/na Matthew East va
escriure:
> Hi David,
>
> 2010/4/27 David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com>:
> > I remember we discussed that this post-release update would contain the
> > Ubuntu Music Store documentation. Are there any other such changes
> > planned (i.e. new content) that were discussed in the meeting?
> >
> > I understand that bug fixes will be applied as well, but in order not to
> > break existing translations, I'd like to ask them to be kept at minimum.
> > I know this limits the work of documenters, but I'd still like to ask
> > you that -or at least remind everyone involved-, as I think this update
> > will not get as much attention from translators as a Documentation
> > String Freeze prior to release, unless we announce it well.
>
> Obviously there is a balance needed. We haven't discussed the
> introduction of any major new content. The bug fixes that we would be
> talking about will generally relate to one, or at most a few strings
> here and there. At the same time, any bug fix in documentation pretty
> much will always involve a string change of some kind, and this is an
> LTS release so it's worthwhile establishing a process that allows us
> to fix bugs and translations with them. I think it's going to be
> necessary to change some strings and that's exactly why we'd like to
> give the translators a good period (4 weeks or so) to update the
> translations.

Ok, thanks for the info. One thing that I forgot to mention is that
we'll need to sync this documentation update with a new language pack
release, but I guess it's just a matter of scheduling it.

> We should certainly announce it well. I imagine that this list is the
> central point for announcements but am happy if the request for
> translation gets announced elsewhere when ready.

Yeah, the list is certainly the central point, but what I meant is that
people tend to follow more the list when there is more translation
activity (i.e. between user interface freeze and language pack
translation deadline). One thing we could do is to post it on the Fridge
to give more visibility. Once you announce the new freeze, I can take
care of forwarding it there.

Regards,
David.

--