Converting to Mallard?

Kyle Nitzsche kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com
Wed Apr 14 23:49:36 UTC 2010

Hi Phil and all,

1) Does this approach (using upstream/Gnome help and adding
Ubuntu-specific content to stub locations therein) support removing
upstream content? It seems likely, or at least possible, that some
upstream content might, for whatever reason, be inappropriate for Ubuntu
(and/or its variants, of which there are many and of which there will in
all likelihood, be many, many more).

2) Is the upstream/Gnome content really the best for Ubuntu? Even though
it may simplify development and maintenance, the value to the Ubuntu
user should perhaps be a higher priority. There should be a systematic
analysis of Gnome help content with discussion to determine whether it
is right for Ubuntu before serious considering it.

I've spoken before advocating development of a "true north" for Ubuntu
Docs that expresses a set of high level priorities so that decisions can
be well and publicly made. I would rank highly utility (to the user) and
customizability (to support Ubuntu variants). Secondary (but still very
important) items include, for me, work load. That is, a system that
meets top priorities may well involve more work, but that work may be
justified.

Cheers,
Kyle