Converting to Mallard?

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Wed Apr 14 14:30:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 01:41 +0100, Phillip Whiteside wrote:

> Well, that seems to have messed me up, I'm looking to move to an LXDE
> system as GNOME brings in too much stuff and is too bloated for lower
> spec machines, would Mallard run under lxde (or xfce) without pulling
> in a load of dependant relatives ?

What does LXDE or Lubuntu do about documentation right now?
Does LXDE provide base documentation that distros can ship
or build off of? With Gnome or KDE, the Ubuntu docs team
can build off of upstream. If upstream doesn't provide any
documentation, I don't really know what should be done.
And that's not really a Mallard-specific problem.

I've been steadily working towards making as much of Yelp
reusable outside Gnome as possible. The transformation and
formatting code is in yelp-xsl. The core of Yelp is being
put into a GTK+-based library called libyelp that anyone
can use to create their own help viewer. And Yelp itself
is being trimmed down, and it may be acceptable on other
GTK+ desktops.

The XFCE developers are interested in using libyelp for an
XFCE help viewer. LXDE could do the same. Or perhaps XFCE
and LXDE could jointly work on a lightweight help viewer.
Or perhaps Yelp 3 will be acceptably lightweight as is.

I'm very interested in having a solution that works for
all free desktops and distros. We need more people from
different projects to speak up.

Thanks,
Shaun