Introduce the tutorial to all personal of the Canonical

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 11:07:56 UTC 2010

Hi Cristovom,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

On Sun, 2010-04-04 at 10:03 -0300, cristovom at uol.com.br wrote:
> In this last weekend was work hard to conclude all the writing of this
> document. Welcome the all personal of the Canonical to the tutorial:
> HowInstallDriver.pdf. Before of begin the test to check, please
> printing
> all your content. The tutorial: HowInstallDriver.pdf is an attached of
> this e-mail because of your size. Was inform the Mark C. Miller that
> will conclude this work before of release Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid to
> all.
> Too is attached in this e-mail an example of an small program writing
> in
> Python to all know and will execute.
>
> Inform the all that the wvdial dialer in Ubuntu Operating System have
> is
> present in new version of this system else the users will not activate
> and use the modem. I will test the new Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid with
> this
> tutorial to compare. If the personal of the Canonical find any error
> of
> writing, sorry and can rectify this tutorial.
> Thank you for all and today is happy to have concluded this work and
> too
> send to Canonical.

Welcome, and thanks for submitting this tutorial! I have reviewed it,
and my comments are below:

      * The tutorial is very long (25 pages). This is far too long for
        most people to be able to use - there is too much detail that
        users don't need to know. I would usually expect a tutorial like
        this to be 2-3 pages.
      * Lots of the tutorial consists of the full output of various
        commands (e.g. the output of "cat /proc/ioports" takes up a
        whole page). You do not need to display the full output of a
        command because it is irrelevant to the reader, and it will make
        it more difficult for them to find the most interesting part of
        the output. My advice is to remove all of the output except for
        the lines that the reader needs to know about.
      * The tutorial is provided in the PDF format, and does not use the
        Ubuntu style. This means that we cannot modify it, and it looks
        different to our other documents. Could you put it on the help
        wiki [1] instead? I can help you to do that if you don't know
        how.
      * Tutorials like this are normally written as a series of short,
        numbered steps. The Lucent tutorial [2] is a good example, and I
        think that your tutorial would be easier to use if it was
        written in the same style as that.

I would like to put this tutorial on the wiki because I think it would
be useful, but it is important to first resolve the issues mentioned
above to make it more usable.

Thanks again,

Phil

[1] - https://help.ubuntu.com/community