Documentation on Installing Ubuntu has inconsistencies

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 21:09:32 UTC 2010

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for getting in touch. Sorry it's taken a while to respond.

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 18:20 +0000, Rafael Wild wrote:
> There are 3 pages about installing Ubuntu which I want to comment (in
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community):
>
> "BurningIsoHowto" explains how to make an installation CD given an ISO
> image.
>
> "Installation/FromUSBStick" explains how to make an installation
> USB-Stick given an ISO image.
>
> "Installation/FromImgFiles" explains how to make an installation
> FlashDevice given an IMG image.
>
> Well. In the "releases.ubuntu.com/releases/10.04"
> http://nl.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/10.04/ page, we read the following:
>
> "If you need help burning these images to disk, see the CD Burning Guide
> or the USB Image Writing Guide."

I'm planning to write a new guide for USB-based installations in the
next few days. I'll try to get the release page updated with a link to
the new guide, and clearer instructions on which to use.

[...]
> 3) I'd like to make the point that english-reading but non-technical
> persons may not know that USB sticks, flash media, USB drive are the
> same thing. It could be helpful clearing these terms, and using an
> uniform word.

This is a difficult one, because there is no standard term. I'll try to
clarify that they all mean the same thing.

> 4) Ubuntu UNR 9.10 has only ISOs, so I think it is less confusing. But
> even so there is only a reference about USB drives (very important for
> the netbook people) in the "BurningIsoHowto" page.

I'll see about updating this too.

Thanks,

Phil

--