Proposal: Create product for each derivative's documentation

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 31 13:26:27 UTC 2009

Hello Matthew,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi Cody,
>
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Cody A.W. Somerville
> <cody-somerville at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >  Currently there is only the ubuntu-documentation product/project on
> > launchpad which has the ubuntu documentation and its derivatives' bazaar
> > branch associated with it. However, I'd like to propose that we create a
> > product for each derivative's documentation since a the current model
> does
> > not scale well attempting to have multiple products inside one product.
>
> I have noticed that you have gone ahead and done this for
> xubuntu-docs, despite the fact that in March 2008 when the issue was
> discussed at your request (above), the strong consensus of those who
> responded was against the move. Can you explain (a) why you've done
> it, and (b) why you haven't posted anything in advance about doing it?

Sorry, I totally forgot that we briefly discussed this over a year ago.

Anyhow, I think the reasoning for taking this approach is stronger than
ever. The launchpad model is designed to have a single codebase associated
with a project and allow for the grouping of related codebases via project
groups. By having projects for the different flavours, we're able to take
full advantage of the different features that launchpad provides while still
maintaining a high level of cohesion and teamwork. In this particular case,
I was motivated by the desire to be able to take advantage of the launchpad
bazaar branch shortcut lp:$project as well as the translation features.

I think we should consider re-activating the ubuntu-docs project group and
each flavour have their own project.

Also, I happened to run across the kubuntu-docs project group (
https://launchpad.net/kubuntu-docs) today while making the Xubuntu changes.
Do you know anything about it?

> --
> Matthew East