String Freeze

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 26 17:39:40 UTC 2009

2009/3/26 Richard A. Johnson <nixternal at ubuntu.com>:
> On Thursday 26 March 2009 11:28:03 Matthew East wrote:
> [...]
>> Yes, but beta freeze is a week before beta release, where the docs
>> string freeze currently is... so your proposal *is* to push it back at
>> least a week from where it is now.
>
> ARGH! I have been saying Beta Freeze now for 2 days and have meant Beta
> Release. Nobody else caught that though, good eye :) Yes, sorry about that,
> Beta Release.
>
> I think I was saying Beta Freeze because of the whole FFe thing the other day
> in a meeting and it has stuck with me for some reason.
>
> So...String Freeze should be 1 or 2 days prior to the Beta Release. This way
> we will have the ability to get it in for the release and it can hit the
> release notes.

Erm, no you won't - if string freeze is 1 or 2 days prior to the Beta
Release, then you won't be able to upload the documents at that time,
because it will be in Beta Freeze, and uploads are only permitted
during that period if they fix a bug that is milestoned for the beta
release. Uploads are particularly closely scrutinised in the 1-2 days
before the Beta Release, so there is no way a regular *-docs upload
would be permitted.

I think you actually did intend your proposal to be that string freeze
should be prior to the Beta Freeze, but I still disagree for the
reasons set out in my previous emails.

The best approach is to upload a package prior to Beta Freeze and then
after the Beta Release, to take into account any new changes
introduced prior to the docs string freeze. This is what we have done
for ubuntu-docs, and it has been working ok.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org