String Freeze

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 26 16:28:03 UTC 2009

Hi,

2009/3/26 Richard A. Johnson <nixternal at ubuntu.com>:
> On Thursday 26 March 2009 04:09:09 Matthew East wrote:
> [...]
>> I don't agree. I think this is an appropriate time for string freeze
>> and I wouldn't want to curtail document writing by pushing our
>> documentation freeze back at all (your proposal involves pushing it
>> back at least a week). I think where it is now allows for enough time
>> for both writing and translating.
>
> My proposal is pushing it back a day or two before beta freeze, not a week.

Yes, but beta freeze is a week before beta release, where the docs
string freeze currently is... so your proposal *is* to push it back at
least a week from where it is now.

> The reason for this is to make sure people can have their documentation
> complete and able to be uploaded so it is released with the beta release. As
> it stands, none of us will have a current package in the beta release today.
> Today is the release that more people will check out, and guess what, they
> don't even have the updated documentation. Today would be a great day to put
> in the release notes "HEY! Don't forget to check out the documentation, give
> it a read, let us know if you find a major problem."

I agree. But the cause of the lack of a package in beta release isn't
because of where our string freeze is. There was nothing preventing
you from uploading an up to date package prior to the beta freeze.
ubuntu-docs is pretty up to date, the last upload was on 8 March.
While I agree that it's nice to have an up to date package uploaded
prior to the beta freeze, and would encourage people to do that, that
doesn't mean that the string freeze needs to be pushed earlier.

>> There is no real problem with uploading. The beta will be released
>> today and uploads can then be processed normally. There is no need for
>> an exception after the beta is released [1].
>
> This is true, but it really sucks that we can't have a package released for
> beta that is post string freeze.

Why? Beta release isn't supposed to be final. As far as I'm concerned,
it's fine for us to fix bugs in the documentation post-beta, just as
it's fine for developers to fix bugs post-beta too. Once string freeze
hits, we shouldn't be touching the documentation at all, except where
absolutely necessary.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org