ScreencastTeam video tutorials

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 09:33:09 UTC 2009

Hi Belinda,

On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 16:49 -0500, Belinda Lopez wrote:
> Standard development rates are about 10x production time per
> minute/hour of final video; 1 hour video takes about 10 hours to
> produce.  Alan's correct, the planning and setup can take more time
> than the actual screencast creation.
>
> There might be some value in trying to work with the Ubuntu Community
> Learning Project as some of their members are also interested in doing
> screencasts.  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/

There a few teams that I can think of who might be interested in
collaborating on this. We should invite them to the next doc team
meeting, or we can have a meeting dedicated to discussing this.

> Also, the shorter the better!  short segments ( 2- 3 min max) are
> easier to view, rewatch and scrub through.  Instead of one long topic,
> i.e. Customizing your Desktop, have lots of short vids, one for each
> area you want to cover; changing your background, adding applets,
> etc..

For the purposes of integrating with the documentation, <2 minute videos
would be ideal. It would also cut the production time and make it easier
to provide translations.

In terms of documentation integration, we would have to be careful to
choose topics which would benefit from videos. I think that providing a
video for each topic would be overkill (like providing a screenshot for
each step in a procedure), so I'd prefer to use them sparingly. What
sort of problems do you think videos would help-out with the most?

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Bull