why is help.ubuntu.com running over HTTPS

Brian Burger blurdesign at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 03:35:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Adi Roiban <adi at roiban.ro> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A dumb question:
> What is the main reason of having help.ubuntu.com running over HTTPS ?
>
> The static pages and wiki content are public information and the
> authentication is delegated to Launchpad over HTTPS.

Almost everything out of *.ubuntu.com runs over HTTPS - I think the
main reason is obstufication, ie if all the traffic is encrypted, it's
much harder to tell what the important stuff is.

That said, the wiki might be passing usernames back and forth more
often than just at login - I'm not sure.

Brian