release documentation index page

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 8 10:28:36 UTC 2009

Hi Adam,

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Adam Sommer <asommer70 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Several member of the Server Team were wondering if we could update the
> http://help.ubuntu.com/releas_number/index.html to list the top level of the
> Server Guide as well as the Desktop documentation.  This would help make the
> documentation more prominent for users new to Ubuntu Server Edition, and
> help to advertise the server edition itself.
>
> Attached is an index.html of what was proposed.  Feedback is appreciated.

I do agree that it would be helpful to make the server documentation
more prominent on help.ubuntu.com. However, I don't think the proposed
index.html is the right way to do it - it makes the page very long and
there is much too much scrolling down.

I think we can get a better solution if the frontpage is revamped a
bit. What I'd like to see is a better design so that the non-desktop
documents (server, switching, install, about-ubuntu) use the right
hand space on the page. Dougie began some work on this before the 8.10
release but I haven't followed through with it. If we use the right
hand space properly, it might be possible to have expandable /
clickable links so that clicking on the Server button would show a
drop down with the different sections of the guide.

I'd be very interested in hearing more ideas about this, in particular
from anyone willing to work on this.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org