usb-creator Draft

Milo Casagrande milo at casagrande.name
Sat Aug 15 14:55:56 UTC 2009

Hi Phil,

2009/8/15 Phil Bull <philbull at gmail.com>:

> So, if I understand correctly, you can't automate the PO->XML process
> because of errors introduced by translators?

Actually you could automate that, and it is, but it is automated at
compile/build time. What you can't automate right now is with Rosetta:
there's no infrastructure in place, and as Matt said, I don't think
there will be one in the near future.

What we are doing now is automated to some extents: you have to launch
a script after you downloaded the PO files. And wait and see what
happens.

> I don't think that this problem is intractable. For example, would it be
> possible to validate translated XML on a line-by-line basis in Rosetta?
> Or highlight XML tags and entities in a different colour to hint that
> they shouldn't be changed?

These are questions and ideas that should be discussed with the Rosetta devs.

For the second one, something maybe might be possible, but don't know
if it will be possible to have it inside the text box while you
type... Danilo once said it will be possible to highlight in some way
words inside a string, the idea was for a glossary... but the strings
were supposed to be the English ones, not the translated ones.

For the first one, usually the XML validator validates a document in
its entirety. I have never witnessed an XML validator that validates
only a string, since it needs to know what kind of XML you are trying
to validate (XML declaration, DOCTYPE....).

Ciao.

--
Milo Casagrande <milo at casagrande.name>